Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ramblings on Roses

Some roses are very lush and others are orderly. Each one appeals to a different kind of person. - Victoria Pearson

Zephirine Drouhin climbing rose still blooming in October

A scented garden could never be complete without an abundance of roses.  But there are as many tastes in roses as there are people.  I don’t personally care much for long-stemmed unblemished roses from the florist’s shop.  Their visual perfection and lack of fragrance makes them seem artificial.  Instead, I love wild, rambling roses filling the outdoors with their scent.  If they’re suitable for cutting, very well, but what is on my must-have list is hardiness, easy care, lots of blooms over a long season, and of course, fragrance.  Many of the roses I’ve chosen to plant are landscape or shrub type roses.
One of my particular favorites is Zephirine Drouhin, an old-fashioned scented pink rose from 1868.  Zephirine has almost no thorns and grows vigorously as a climber.   Unlike most roses, it will tolerate a good deal of shade and still bloom profusely. 
Some other roses I’ve grown and liked include:
  • Miniature or groundcover roses - Fairy Pink Cushion, Patio
  • Landscape or shrub roses - Pink Knock Out, Double Knock Out, Royal Bonica, Scarlet Meideland, Fairy
  • Climbing roses - Climbing Blaze, John Cabot, Ginger Syllabub

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. I had thought about one, but I know they take over and needed something that would not get so big, but everytime I see one, I want it. :)
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. I was so delighted when we found our old house and the old La Marne rose shrub next to the front porch. I have a few mystery roses I hope to one day identify. I am happy to have found your blog and am your newest follower!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete